022619 WES apache drive fire

Two women suffered from smoke inhalation during a fire that began at the stove inside an Apache Drive apartment late Tuesday afternoon. Photo submitted

WESTERLY — Two elderly residents suffered smoke inhalation in a fire that broke out in the kitchen of an Apache Drive apartment Tuesday afternoon.

Westerly Fire Chief John Mackay said the two, a man and a woman, were taken to Westerly Hospital for treatment. Both were expected to make a full recovery.

Emergency personnel were called to the apartment at 15 Apache Drive around 4:20 p.m. Mackay, who was nearby, arrived a short time later, quickly identified the problem for members of the Westerly Fire Department, and directed ambulance personnel to take care of the women.

A Hope Valley Ambulance squad was in transit and was able to provide immediate assistance to one of the victims. Westerly Ambulance transported the second victim.

Mackay said the fire, which was deemed accidental, started in the area of the stove. The blaze damaged the kitchen area, but was contained to that room. There was smoke damage in other rooms.

The fire took place in an end unit of the building, officials said, and no other apartments were affected.

jvallee@thewesterlysun.com

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.