standing Police Siren Generic

NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Authorities say a fire in a Newport home that killed a retired teacher and coach has been ruled an accident that started in the kitchen.

The Newport Daily News reported Sunday that Deputy State Fire Marshal Kevin Morris says the fire Sept. 1 was caused either by an electrical appliance or by unattended food left on the stove.

The victim was identified as 68-year-old Stephen Croughan, a longtime teacher and cross country coach in the Middletown schools.

Chief Deputy Michael Sweeney with the Office of the State Fire Marshal says it is believed Croughan was cooking in the kitchen before he sustained burns and "went upstairs and collapsed on his bed."

———

Information from: The Newport Daily News.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.