FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — A Fall River apartment building has been deemed uninhabitable after the release of mercury.

Fire officials say the poisonous material was released into the Hamlet St. building by a man trying to melt down old dental fillings, believing they were silver.

Fall River District Fire Chief Michael Clark said the resident melted the fillings Jan. 25 and went to the hospital three days later. Initially doctors couldn't understand what made him ill.

Toxic levels of mercury were discovered when emergency officials responded to the building Saturday after a 17-year-old girl who lives there became ill. She tested positive for mercury and was transported to a Rhode Island hospital. During the past few weeks three pets in the building died.

Officials said every resident of the building was tested for mercury.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.