021419 HOP chimney fire 1

Members of the Ashaway and Hope Valey-Wyoming fire departments helped contain a chimney fire on Ashaway Road around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday. Courtesy Hope Valley-Wyoming Fire Department

HOPKINTON — A chimney fire caused a brief scare on Ashaway Road, but the flames fanned out quickly and damage was limited to the chimney itself, officials said.

A Hopkinton police officer on patrol reported seeing "6-foot flames showing from the chimney" at about 6:30 a.m. Ashaway Fire Chief Ronnie Sposato said firefighters, assisted by a ladder truck from the Hope Valley-Wyoming Fire Department, responded to the home, which was located off Route 216 not far from its intersection with Farmers Trail.

Sposato said responders notified the homeowners, who were not yet aware of an issue, and firefighters were able to contain the fire to the chimney area until it burned itself out.

— Jason Vallee

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.