standing Police Siren Generic

STONINGTON — Heavy smoke coming from a wood stove was cited as the cause of a morning smoke condition in downtown Westerly-Pawcatuck that led to several calls from concerned citizens Monday morning, but officials said there was never a fire to speak of.

Dispatchers received several calls Monday morning around 9 a.m., each which reported "heavy smoke" showing in the downtown area. Officials said Westerly and Pawcatuck firefighters were able to trace the smoke to a Pawcatuck business on Coggswell Street. The smoke was not the result of a fire but rather an issue with a wood stove at the business, Pawcatuck Fire Chief Kevin Burns said.  

There were no reported injuries, fire officials said, and members of the Pawcatuck Fire Department were able to aid in venting smoke quickly after determining where it was coming from.

— Jason Vallee

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.