NORTH STONINGTON — A family has been temporarily displaced after fire officials said lightning struck their home on Polly Avenue on Monday night, causing an electrical fire in the basement.
North Stonington firefighters were dispatched to 97 Polly Ave., which is located between Cossaduck Hill Road and Lakeside Drive, around 9 p.m. for reports of a possible structure fire. Firefighters arrived to find that the strike had ignited a small fire in the basement as a result of an electrical surge.
Firefighters quickly contained the blaze, limiting most of the damage to the basement area and a first floor wall.
"We had a smoke condition in the basement. We used exhaust fans to remove" the smoke, North Stonington Fire Capt. Stephen Sadowski said Tuesday morning. "We had to open up a first floor wall to check for extension."
North Stonington was assisted by members of the Mashantucket Fire Department and the Norwich Fire Department's Firefighter Assist and Search Team. The North Stonington Ambulance Association and American Paramedics also responded; no injuries were reported.
The occupants stayed with other family members Monday night, officials said. They were expected to be displaced for at a short time.
According to North Stonington property records, the single family colonial-style home was built in 2007. It was last purchased in 2017 and is owned by Joshua T. Ponder and Deven R. Dubois, records show.