standing Police Siren Generic

STONINGTON — Early notification helped firefighters contain a fire that erupted in a chimney of a North Anguilla Road home Wednesday from extending to the house and prevented a family from being displaced, officials said.

Pawcatuck firefighters, aided by a tanker from both the North Stonington and Wequetequock fire departments, were called by residents at 203 N. Anguilla Road around 5:20 p.m. who reported a chimney fire that may have extended to a nearby exterior wall.

Firefighters arrived and located the fire, which Pawcatuck Fire Chief Kevin Burns said was still within the chimney area. The fire was contained quickly and despite initial concerns, Burns said an investigation found no evidence that the fire had extended.

No injuries were reported. Fire officials said the homeowners would need to address concerns related to the chimney, but were expected to be able to make repairs.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.