standing Westerly police 2

WESTERLY — A Connecticut man was arrested twice in three hours Wednesday night after police said he was kicked out of the Windjammer Surf Bar twice, fought security at a neighboring arcade, and then attacked an officer at the police station after posting bond for the first offense.

The man, Scott Biondi, 46, of Bristol, was charged Thursday with simple assault or battery and disorderly conduct in connection with the Windjammer disturbance, and disorderly conduct for trying to strike an officer, the police said.

Biondi, who posted bond and was arraigned by a justice of the peace after the first arrest, was held overnight and presented as a bail violator in Fourth Division District Court on Thursday.

According to an arrest report, Westerly officers were called to the Atlantic Avenue bar in Misquamicut at about 5:30 p.m. for reports of a man who had caused a disturbance and fought with security personnel. Three security guards were detaining Biondi when officers arrived. The police said he appeared intoxicated; he was detained in the back of a police cruiser.

Police Chief Shawn Lacey said that Biondi had been acting aggressively in the afternoon, leading security to "cut him off" and remove the wristband that granted him access to the bar. He returned a short time later, holding a can of beer he had gotten elsewhere, and was ejected again, this time threatening the security staff before walking away.

Once again returning to the property, with another can of beer, Biondi entered an arcade with numerous children present and screamed and swore against the security staff. When he was asked to leave, Biondi handed a guard the beer and said he needed to use the bathroom.

The guard threw the beer away and when Biondi returned from the bathroom he became enraged, according to the police report, dug into the trash, and then grabbed the guard, ripping his shirt. As they struggled, Biondi grabbed and broke an expensive chain necklace, the police said. Two other guards joined in and they finally subdued Biondi.

Westerly police said he was uncooperative and aggressive at the station. His wife was called and posted bond, and he was released around 8:15 p.m. But Lacey said he refused to leave and told the shift sergeant, "I'll leave when I feel like it." As he was led to the lobby, the police said, he began pushing and cussing at the sergeant.

The sergeant warned him to stop, and Biondi tried to punch him. Catching his arm, the officer pushed Biondi against the wall in order to put him back in handcuffs. He was returned to a cell to await arraignment the next day.

According to court records, Biondi pleaded not guilty to all charges and was released after posting a second bond. He waived his right to a jury trial and is due back in court for a pretrial conference on Aug. 23.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.