• Two local runners qualified for the Boston Marathon during the Smuttynose Marathon in Hampton Beach, N.H. on Sunday. Ashaway’s Justin Bentley finished fourth among the 953 runners in 2 hours, 51 minutes, 4.9 seconds over the 26.2-mile course. Westerly’s Jeff Walker was fifth in 2:51:55.4. They were Boston Marathon qualifiers. Tammy Lyons, of Charlestown, placed 696th in 4:40:14.7. Donna Anderson of Westerly finished 2,287th in the half-marathon with a time of 2:11:14.3. Anna Lyons of Charlestown placed 2,545th in 2:15:16.1. The race had 3,821 finishers.
• Mystic’s Justin Kane was the top local finisher in the Jack O’Keefe Memorial Strides 10K road race Sunday in Waterford. Kane finished eighth with a time of 42 minutes, 24 seconds. Pamela Kane, of Mystic,was the top local female finisher crossing the line in 48:58, good for 33rd. The other local male finishers were Matt Hargus (Pawcatuck, 12th, 44:42), Brian Johnson (Stonington, 13th, 44:46), Jim Tiernan (Pawcatuck, 24th, 47:15), Paul Gray (Pawcatuck, 37th, 49:25), Douglas MacDonald (Mystic, 46th, 51:44) and Anthony Rose (North Stonington, 57th, 54:07). The other local female finishers were Susan Berlam (Pawcatuck, 44th, 51:22), Barb Barnes (North Stonington, 63rd, 54:29), Sharon Riley (Stonington, 76th, 57:14), Peggy Pelland (North Stonington, 80th, 58:38), Amy Tiernan (Pawcatuck, 102nd, 1:06.47), Maggie O’Rourke (Stonington, 104th, 1:08:02) and Diane Caine (North Stonington, 111th, 1:11:05). A total of 120 runners finished the race.
• Pawcatuck’s Steven deCastro placed ninth in the 5K portion of the event and was the top local finisher. He posted a time of 21:09. Jessica Blodgett, of Mystic, was the top local female finishers in 28:57, good for 86th among the 191 finishers. Others local runners in the top 100 were Jack MacDonald (Mystic, 21st, 23:36), Richard Conant (Mystic, 33rd, 24:54), Ron Berthasavage (Pawcatuck, 45th, 26:06) and Kimberly MacDonald (Mystic, 87th, 29:09).
• The Westerly Recreation Department and the Westerly Track & Athletic Club will conduct the 11th annual Run for the Pumpkins, 5K road race on Sunday, Oct. 20, at Cimalore Field, Westerly. Registration begins at 10 a.m., race starts at 11. Advance registration by Oct. 12 is $15 at westerlytrackclub.org, $20 thereafter. Additional $5 discount for those 18 and under.
• Bishop Hendricken remained at the top of the Rhode Island Sports Media High School Football Poll. Hendricken received all nine of the first place votes. Barrington and Cranston East were second and third, respectively. Westerly and Chariho did not make the list.