Stonington Borough, CT
Mystic Chamber of Commerce
Noank Historical Society
I am not scared of all the witches, zombies and assorted goblins wandering about on Halloween. What really scares me is the meat industry.
This is the industry that:
• Mutilates, cages and butchers billions of cows, pigs and other sentient animals.
• Feeds carcasses of cats and dogs killed in pounds to chickens.
• Exposes undocumented workers to chronic workplace injuries at slave wages.
• Exploits farmers and ranchers by dictating wholesale market prices.
• Punishes documentation of its abuses through unconstitutional “ag-gag” laws.
• Promotes world hunger by feeding nutritious corn and soybeans to animals.
• Generates more greenhouse gases than any other human activity and generates more water pollution than any other human activity.
• Creates a permanent “dead zone” in the Gulf of Mexico that dwarfs the BP oil spill.
• Creates deadly antibiotic-resistant pathogens by feeding antibiotics to animals.
• Creates epidemics of salmonella, listeria and other infectious diseases
• Promotes mortality from diabetes, heart failure, stroke, cancer and other diseases.
Now that’s really scary. And this is why I am dropping animal products from my menu.