40 pounds of marijuana seized in Bradford; Glastonbury man facing charges

40 pounds of marijuana seized in Bradford; Glastonbury man facing charges

The Westerly Sun


WESTERLY — Hopkinton and Westerly police are continuing to work on an investigation after officers discovered nearly 40 pounds of marijuana during a traffic stop along Alton-Bradford Road last week.

Tyler Losacano, 23, of Glastonbury, Conn., was taken into custody Thursday on one count of possession of more than five kilograms of a controlled substance, a felony in Rhode Island. He was arraigned Friday in Fourth Division District Court, according to Rhode Island judicial records, and released after posting a $10,000 court-set bond.

Westerly Police Chief Richard Silva said Monday that the discovery was made when an officer with the Hopkinton department initiated a traffic stop of a Mercedes SUV along Alton-Bradford Road near the Bradford line on Thursday. Silva said Westerly police took over as the arresting agency, however, when it was determined that Losacano had traveled over the Bradford line and was within Westerly jurisdiction.

“I do not know the circumstances behind the stop, but we were contacted by Hopkinton after it was determined to be in the Bradford section of town,” Silva said. “Although we are the arresting agency, we are continuing to work with Hopkinton detectives on the case.”

Hopkinton Police Chief David Palmer on Monday night confirmed his department had made a traffic stop, leading to the investigation. During the traffic stop, which occurred shortly after 1 p.m. Thursday, officers discovered that Loscano was carrying totes that were filled with approximately 40 pounds of untrimmed marijuana. Losacano initially indicated to officers that the marijuana belonged to a licensed grower, although police confirmed that Losacano was not authorized to transport the marijuana.

The department seized the marijuana as well as towing the SUV, but Silva indicated Monday that no decision has been made as to whether the department would seek to claim the vehicle through the state’s asset forfeiture program.

Silva said he could not comment further on the investigation as it remains active. No further arrests are expected at this time.

“There is a lot of information and we are continuing to determine specific aspects of the case,” Silva said.

The case has been referred to a grand jury for review, according to Rhode Island judicial records. No plea has been entered and it was unclear if a future court date had been established.

jvallee@thewesterlysun.com


Advertisement
 

Latest Videos

X