ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Community Calendar

Community Artists Program
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Charlestown

Pancakes 4 a Purpose
8 a.m. - 10 a.m. Charlestown

... View all of today's events


Stay Connected
Friends to Follow


ADVERTISEMENT


Prosecutors: Halt ruling in Conn. double slay case


NEW HAVEN — Prosecutors want a man convicted of killing a former New Haven alderman and another man in 1990 kept behind bars while they appeal a ruling that his right to a fair trial was violated.

Judge Charles Haight Jr. ruled last month that Scott T. Lewis should be released from prison within 60 days unless the state decides to retry him.

The defense should have been told a police lieutenant said the witness who implicated Lewis initially told him he knew nothing about the crime, then later acknowledged the information he gave had been supplied by a detective, Haight said.

Prosecutors last week filed a motion seeking a stay of the ruling while they appeal, saying they deserve a chance to appeal the ruling without being forced to retry Lewis simultaneously. Prosecutors contend the defense knew the witness denied knowing about the crime.

They also cited an earlier ruling in state court finding that the information provided by the detective to the witness was insignificant.

Lewis has been serving a 120-year sentence after he was convicted of the shooting deaths of former Alderman Ricardo Turner and Lamont Fields.

He maintains his innocence. Stefon Morant also was convicted in the killings and was sentenced to 70 years in prison.

Haight ruled that Lewis’ defense should have been told about the account by former Lt. Michael Sweeney, who said the witness told him he knew nothing about the murders.

Sweeney said a detective joined the interview and began giving the witness facts about the crime and the witness then started changing his statement.

Sweeney later confronted the witness, who told him he was not telling the truth and that the detective was the source of his information, according to the ruling.



Back to State
Top Stories of the Week

Councilor seeks review of Ritacco’s actions on zoning board …
WESTERLY — A member of the Town Council is asking the council to initiate proceedings aimed at removing Zoning Board of Review Chairman Robert Ritacco … more ...

Police logs: Thursday, July 2, 2015 …
Richmond Kari L. Scholle, 26, of 370 Hillsdale Road, Richmond, was charged on June 24 with operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license. She … more ...

Belting it out at Fenway: Grillo to sing national anthem …
PAWCATUCK — It came as no surprise to Michael Grillo’s friends and family when they heard he’d hit it out of the park during his … more ...

Hearing on Westerly quarry violations moved up …
The Zoning Board of Review plans to conduct a hearing later this month on appeals of zoning violation citations filed by Westerly Granite Co. Inc. … more ...

9 arrested, 22 cited in North Stonington spot check …
NORTH STONINGTON — State troopers arrested nine people and cited 22 others following a concentrated enforcement Saturday along Route 2. Connecticut State Police said the … more ...

Comments