Community Calendar

Community Artists Program
10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Charlestown

CHRIST CHURCH CELEBRATES THE RESTORATION OF THE CHURCH TOWER
10:15 a.m. - 11 a.m. Westerly

Free Electronic Waste Drop Off Event
9 a.m. - Noon Charlestown

RI Blood Drive
9 a.m. - Noon Charlestown

... View all of today's events


Stay Connected




image
Stew Milne FR56276 AP
FILE - In this Feb. 15, 2011 file photo, Anjan Dutta-Gupta, founder and former president of Advanced Solutions for Tomorrow, based in Georgia, exits U.S. District Court in Providence, R.I. Dutta-Gupta is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, in a federal court in Providence for his part in a long-running kickback scheme that cost the Navy $18 million. (AP Photo/Stew Milne, File)

Navy contractor gets 3-year term


PROVIDENCE — The founder of a U.S. Navy contractor from Georgia must serve three years in prison for his part in a kickback scheme that cost the Navy $18 million, a federal judge in Rhode Island ordered Wednesday.

Anjan Dutta-Gupta, of Roswell, Ga., founder of Advanced Solutions for Tomorrow, or ASFT, is the fourth person to be sentenced in a federal probe into a 15-year scheme led by former civilian Navy employee Ralph M. Mariano. Dutta-Gupta pleaded guilty in 2011 to bribery and was not sentenced until Wednesday while he cooperated with the investigation.

The sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Mary Lisi matched the recommendation of both prosecutors and the defense, who said Dutta-Gupta’s extensive cooperation almost immediately after he was charged meant he should be shown some leniency. Otherwise, he could have faced as much as 15 years in prison.

Mariano worked for the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in Newport, and was most recently based at the Navy Yard in Washington. He had the power to approve payments on Navy contracts and used it to sign off on false invoices submitted by ASFT and subcontractors, which would then funnel kickbacks to Mariano and others. ASFT, which also had offices in Middletown, went under soon after the charges were brought.

Dutta-Gupta apologized in court Wednesday. His lawyer, David Fragale, told Lisi that his client thought keeping up the scheme was the only way to preserve the company. He believed, “This is how the Navy does business,” and did not report it to anyone over the 15 years it went on because he didn’t want to take on the Navy, Fragale said.

The Navy conducted an investigation at the Naval Undersea Warfare Center in 2011 and said it found no other wrongdoing. Outside court, Fragale said there were flaws in the Navy contracting system that has allowed taxpayer money to be wasted.

“I’d be extremely disappointed if the Navy believed that the problems within (the Naval Undersea Warfare Center) began and ended with Ralph Mariano,” Fragale said.

Prosecutors said they estimated Dutta-Gupta himself received $2.5 million from the scheme. Fragale said he didn’t know how they calculated that amount, but that the money Dutta-Gupta received went back into his businesses.

Lisi agreed that Dutta-Gupta provided an essential “road map” in the investigation, allowing the government to bring to justice some of the other players.

, including Mariano, who last week started a 10-year prison term. But the judge also pointed out that without Dutta-Gupta, the scheme to rip off the Navy and taxpayers of $18 million would never have worked. She said the sentence was meant to send a loud message to businessmen like him.

“If you get in bed with dogs, you end up with their fleas,” she said.

Lisi also ordered him, along with some of the others convicted, to help pay $18 million in restitution. He must report to prison on Jan. 7.

Five others have pleaded guilty in the case, including Mariano, former ASFT executive Patrick Barry Nagle, who received three years of probation after his cooperation in the investigation, and Mariano’s father, who received a two-year home confinement sentence for tax evasion. Awaiting sentencing on Thursday is Russell Spencer, an ASFT subcontractor, and on Friday is Mariano’s girlfriend, Mary O’Rourke, who was an executive at ASFT.



Back to State
Top Stories of the Week

Police ID man found dead in tent …
BRADFORD — A 25-year-old man who was found dead in a tent behind a house on Bowling Lane has been identified. Jason Knight Barber was … more ...

Westerly man facing charges in child pornography case …
WAKEFIELD — A Westerly man is facing charges following a Rhode Island State Police investigation into the possession and transfer of child pornography. Benjamin Kelley, … more ...

Police: Man charged with assault after fight over a woman …
RICHMOND — A local man is facing assault charges after police said he attacked another man during a fight regarding a woman. David J. Baton, … more ...

Man found dead in Bradford tent …
BRADFORD — Westerly police have not yet identified the 25-year-old man found deceased in a tent behind a house on Bowling Lane at about 4:45 … more ...

Local barber poised to make his final cuts count …
WESTERLY — After 54 years of cutting hair, Joe DeMario is closing up shop. But he wants to go out with a bang, he said, … more ...

Comments