Stonington Borough, CT
Mystic Chamber of Commerce
Noank Historical Society
PROVIDENCE — A man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and her adult daughter and kidnapping her toddler son, prompting a nationwide Amber Alert, pleaded not guilty in Providence Superior Court on Monday.
Daniel Rodriguez, 28, showed no emotion as he was ordered held without bail by Judge Robert Krause.
He was indicted by a grand jury last week on murder, kidnapping, weapons and burglary charges for the Aug. 11 killings of Evelyn Burgos, 40, and Vanessa Perez, 25, and in the kidnapping of Burgos’ 2-year-old, Isaiah Perez. He has been held without bail since being arrested hours after the killings.
Police say Burgos and her daughter were shot to death at Burgos’s home in Johnston early that morning. Burgos had been granted a temporary restraining order against Rodriguez in July but authorities said they could not find him to serve it.
Isaiah was found that evening wandering alone but unharmed in Providence.
Outside court on Monday, Burgos’ older brother, Anibal Concepcion, called Rodriguez an animal and described the crime as brutal. He said his family is seeking justice.
“I want him to get life without parole,” he said.
Concepcion said neither he nor his brother knew about Burgos’ allegations that Rodriguez had abused her.
“She never told nobody,” he said.
He said it has been difficult for the family, especially now, at holiday time. His mother doesn’t want to eat and has lost weight, Concepcion said.
Perez and Burgos’ children, including Isaiah, are living with relatives, Concepcion said.
The judge set the next hearing in the case for Jan. 16.
Rodriguez has a long criminal history, including a previous murder charge in a 2003 killing, which was dropped in 2006 when a witness failed to appear in court. He also was charged in 2007 with the attempted kidnapping of a former girlfriend. Those charges were dropped after she failed to appear to testify.