The English poet Colley Cibber once wrote that “Words are but empty thanks.” If you would like your thanks to be more about giving than words, there are many opportunities to say thanks for your own relative abundance by giving money or non-perishable food to those who have less.
Agencies that provide Thanksgiving food for their clients:
• Jonnycake Center of Westerly, 23 Industrial Drive, Westerly, 401-377-8069
Serving: residents of Westerly, Charlestown, Richmond, Hopkinton
• Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, 27 Chase St., Pawcatuck, 860-59-3285
Serving: residents of Westerly, Pawcatuck, Stonington, North Stonington, and Mystic
• Rhode Island Center Assisting Those in Need, 805 Alton Carolina Road, Charlestown, 401-364-9412
Serving: South County residents
• St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 15 East Beach Road, Charlestown, 401-322-0088
Serving: South County residents
• St. Joseph’s Church, 1105 Main St., Hope Valley, 401-539-8311
Serving: Hope Valley residents
• Wood River Health Services, 823 Main St., Hope Valley, 401-539-2461
Serving: health center clients
• Trinity Lutheran Church, 110 High St., Ashaway, 401-377-4340
Places serving free Thanksgiving dinners:
• Christ Church, 7 Elm St., Westerly, 401-596-0197
Serving: a free Thanksgiving dinner for the community, Nov. 28 from noon to 2 p.m.
• U.S. Submarine Veterans, SubVets Home, 40 School Street, Groton, 860-848-8857
Serving: a free Thanksgiving dinner for 1,000 military, police, medical personnel, and shut-ins
• St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 15 Pearl St., Mystic, 860-572-9549
Serving: a free Thanksgiving dinner for the community on Nov. 28 beginning at 1 p.m.
Events where people can donate non-perishable food:
• Avondale Chapel, 11 Avondale Road, Westerly
Event: the annual community-wide Thanksgiving Eve worship service, Nov. 27, 7 p.m., sponsored by the Westerly-Pawcatuck Clergy Association
Donations: Canned goods will be collected at the door for the Jonnycake Center and the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center. An offering will be designated for the WARM Center to provide fuel assistance.
• Watch Hill Chapel, 5 Bluff Ave., Westerly, 401-596-6525
Event: the annual Thanksgiving service, Nov. 28, 10 a.m., with Rev. Dr. Hillary R. Bercovici presiding
Donations: The plate offering will be donated to the Jonnycake Center, the Living Supplies Closet, the Pawcatuck Neighborhood Center, and the WARM Center. The chapel’s outreach program will match all contributions.
— Leslie Rovetti
Westerly man faces charges in bank robberies …
GROTON — A 32-year-old Westerly man, a bank robbery suspect in Groton and Waterford, appeared in two Washington County courtrooms today after being arrested by … more ...
Words of warning on legal marijuana …
WOOD RIVER JCT. — Three police chiefs, a prevention specialist, health care workers, an assistant to the Rhode Island Attorney General and a recovering drug … more ...
Grzybowski named interim town manager …
WESTERLY — Amy Grzybowski, the town’s director of code enforcement and grant administration, will serve as interim town manager, following her unanimous selection Monday by … more ...
Man sentenced 25 years in fatal hit and run …
STONINGTON — A 31-year-old former Westerly man was sentenced Tuesday to 25 years in prison, suspended after eight years served, following a conviction in a … more ...