Community Calendar

Chess Club
6 p.m. - 7:45 p.m. Westerly

... View all of today's events


Stay Connected




image
Frieda Squires Pool, The Providence Journal
Frank "Bobo" Marrapese appears in Providence Superior Court Monday with his attorney, John Harwood, at right. The reputed New England mobster has been sentenced to nine years in prison after pleading guilty in connection with an illegal sports betting ring. | (AP Photo/The Providence Journal/Frieda Squires)

Reputed R.I. mobster pleads guilty, gets 9 years


PROVIDENCE — A reputed New England mobster was sentenced to nine years in prison after pleading guilty on Monday in connection with an illegal sports betting ring.

Frank “Bobo” Marrapese, 70, pleaded guilty before Superior Court Judge William E. Carnes Jr. to five counts of extortion conspiracy and one count each of racketeering conspiracy and conspiracy to commit criminal usury.

Marrapese was among more than 20 people who were charged in 2011 in connection with the betting ring. Prosecutors say multiple members of the Patriarca crime family were involved, including Marrapese, Edward Lato and Alfred “Chippy” Scivola.

Marrapese was convicted in 1987 of killing mobster Richard “Dickie” Callei. He was released on parole in 2008 and was still on parole when prosecutors say he got involved in the ring, using his reputation for violence to imply or directly threaten people as he collected on unlawful debts.

His lawyer, John Harwood, told the judge his client has had a chance to reflect during the time he had already spent in prison since his May 2011 arrest.

“He’s realized the world has changed,” Harwood said.

Carnes gave Marrapese credit for time served since his arrest after Harwood asked the judge to give him “the benefit of the doubt” because of his age and health. Prosecutors opposed the request, and Carnes cautioned that the Department of Corrections may have a different interpretation about whether he is entitled to be credited for time served.

Among Marrapese’s victims was Henry Fellela, the husband of state Rep. Deborah Fellela, of Johnston, who himself is in trouble for allegedly claiming he was homeless to fraudulently collect Social Security benefits, among other charges. He has pleaded not guilty in federal court.

Lato has pleaded not guilty, while Scivola pleaded no contest to conspiracy last year. Lato and Scivola both pleaded guilty and were sentenced to prison last year in an unrelated federal investigation into shakedowns at Rhode Island strip clubs.



Back to State
Top Stories of the Week

WordPress workshop at New England Institute of Technology …
EAST GREENWICH — New England Institute of Technology will host the WordPress WordCamp RI workshop Sept. 25 and 26 at its East Greenwich campus, at … more ...

Westerly man facing charges in child pornography case …
WAKEFIELD — A Westerly man is facing charges following a Rhode Island State Police investigation into the possession and transfer of child pornography. Benjamin Kelley, … more ...

Stonington teacher back with ‘West Vine family’ …
STONINGTON — Kaitlin Eppinger’s kindergarten classroom at West Vine Street School is cozy, as comfy as a temporary space can be. It’s bright, colorful and … more ...

Police ID man found dead in tent …
BRADFORD — A 25-year-old man who was found dead in a tent behind a house on Bowling Lane has been identified. Jason Knight Barber was … more ...

Cases against owner of bar, son dropped …
WAKEFIELD — A mother and son arrested within a week of each other had their cases dismissed after pretrial appearances Friday before Judge Joseph T. … more ...

Comments