State’s attorney seeking extradition of suspect in North Stonington killing

State’s attorney seeking extradition of suspect in North Stonington killing


New London County State’s Attorney Michael L. Regan and his staff are moving forward with the extradition of a New London man who was arrested in Missouri last month in the fatal shooting of his cousin, Ralph Sebastian Sidberry, in North Stonington.

The prosecutor’s office in New London said Friday that it is applying for a governor’s warrant for 30-year-old James R. Armstrong, who is accused of killing Sidberry, 31, outside his home on Lantern Hill Road on April 12.

Armstrong was charged as a fugitive from justice on July 27 following his arrest in Missouri. He is fighting extradition to Connecticut and refused to waive his rights when presented before a judge on July 31. He is being held without bond in the Pulaski County Jail in Waynesville.

The Connecticut State Police said that the Eastern District Major Crime Squad obtained a warrant charging Armstrong with murder following an investigation into the shooting death of Sidberry. Police said that Sidberry, a New London business owner who lived at 628 Lantern Hill Road with his pregnant wife, Rebecca, and the couple’s 1-year-old daughter. He and Armstrong were first cousins and are both members of the Eastern Pequot Tribal Nation.

Katherine Sebastian Dring, Sidberry’s mother and chairwoman of the Eastern Pequot Tribe, could not be reached for comment on Friday. She issued an email statement about the arrest, expressing gratitude to the major crime squad for its investigation of the “heinous and violent act” and saying that Sidberry’s family and friends “pray that James Armstrong suffer the wrath and vengeance of God, our Creator, and be prosecuted and sentenced to the maximum punishment under the law,” according to a report in The Day.

Armstrong was immediately taken into custody and held for questioning following the shooting, officials said, but later disappeared before police were able to obtain a warrant. No motive has been given for the shooting.

Officials said they anticipate receiving the governor’s warrant and expect that Armstrong will be returned to Connecticut and arraigned in New London Superior Court within the next 90 days, the typical period necessary to complete the extradition process.

Support Quality Local Journalism

Latest Videos