WESTERLY — Crews continued to work to replenish the sand at Misquamicut Beach on Saturday.
The $3.1 million U.S. Army Corp of Engineers project, which began earlier this week, will add 84,000 cubic tons of sand to the beach. The work was originally scheduled for weekdays only, with a June 1 completion deadline, but crews from MZM Construction of New Jersey were seen at Misquamicut on Saturday as well.
Paul LeBlanc, town engineer, said he spoke with the project manager of MZM Construction and an Army Corp. representative earlier in the day and allowed the crews to continue their work on Saturday. LeBlanc said he was still in discussion with the project manager regarding work on future Saturdays.
“What they’re doing is all legal,” LeBlanc said. “They got the OK from me ahead of time.”
Town Councilor Caswell Cooke, executive director of the Misquamicut Business Association, said, “Frankly, I’m glad if working on weekends means they’ll get the beach ready in time.”
Crews intend to ready the western section of the beach in time for Springfest to take place May 9-11.
— Nancy Lavin