Seasonal Sections
Fall Home and Garden
Vintage
Emergency Preparedness


  • HopArts exhibit 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. Hope Valley
  • Storytime 10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. Westerly
  • Bridge Club 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. Charlestown
  • RIBC Blood Drive 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. Westerly
  • RIBC Blood Drive 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Hope Valley
  • Understanding the New Elementary Report Card 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Westerly
  • Monday Night Movie 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. Charlestown
  • Retirement Seminar 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. Westerly
  • Cinema Italiana 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. Westerly
  • Hoxie Gallery exhibit 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. Westerly

  • ... Click for all of today's events

  • Panel’s OK fills empty building with growing business

    NORTH STONINGTON — When Adam Marsiglio and Justin Izzi were students at Westerly High School they started a landscaping company. They didn’t have driver’s licenses, so they had to hire someone to drive them to jobs.

    Now eight years later, the two young entrepreneurs have 10 employees and a new location. They recently moved their company, A & J Landscaping, from a rented garage on Westerly’s Pierce Street, the former site of Mad River Construction, to a permanent spot in North Stonington. North Stonington’s Planning and Zoning Commission approved the permit for the landscaping business in October.

    Located at 217 Providence New London Tpke., east of the rotary and next to Mystic Pizza II, the spot is advantageous for a two-state company.

    “We do 60 percent of our business in Rhode Island,” Marsiglio said, with the other 40 percent in Connecticut. Located so close to the state line puts them in the center of their clientele.

    The retail part of the business is already open for stone and mulch sales, although Marsiglia said there won’t be much demand for those products until the spring. Beginning the day after Thanksgiving, A & J Landscaping will carry Christmas trees, as well as wreaths, garland, and cemetery baskets.

    Offsite, they provide lawn maintenance, landscape construction, and snow plowing, including plowing for the Westerly schools, according to Marsiglio. They are also licensed to install irrigation systems in Rhode Island and Connecticut.

    The property is owned by Stano Trombino of Ashaway, who also owns the Subway and Gallery 323 auction building on Clarks Falls Road. The Providence New London Turnpike property had been vacant for a few years before he purchased it, Trombino wrote in an email, and the building required some work before he could rent it out.



    Back to LatestNews || Back To Top

    Latest Comments