The following are this week’s scheduled small business training events from the U.S. Small Business Association-Rhode Island and Prophet Share:
• Preparing for a Matchmaker and Developing Your Capabilities Statement, from the U.S. Small Business Administration and RIPTAC, at 315 Iron Horse Way, Providence. The program runs from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is free. To register, visit riptac.org/training or call 401-278-9173.
This in-depth guide is essential to getting the most from short meetings with representatives from government agencies and major prime government contractors at matchmaker or outreach events.
• In-Transition: Branding Yourself in Challenging Economic Times, from the Center for Women & Enterprise, at 132 George M. Cohan Blvd., Providence. The program runs from 2 to 4 p.m. and is free. To register, visit cweonline.org or call 401-277-0800.
This seminar will introduce and explain the concept of personal branding, explore why personal brands are becoming so important in today’s job market and provide key factors to help you develop your own personal brand.
• Introduction to the 8(a) Business Development Program, from the U.S. Small Business Administration, City of Central Falls and Navigant Credit Union, at the Navigant Credit Union branch at 693 Broad St., Central Falls. The program runs from 9 to 11 a.m. and is free. To register, email email@example.com or call 401-528-4561.
The 8(a) Business Development Program is a nine-year certification that provides socially and economically disadvantaged firms access to government contracting opportunities and specialized business training and counseling to help them become viable competitors in the federal marketplace.
• Business Basics: Ten Steps to Starting a Business, from the Center for Women & Enterprise, 132 George M. Cohan Blvd., Providence. The program runs from 2 to 4 p.m. The fee for the workshop is $40. Partial scholarships may be available to those who qualify. To register, visit cweonline.org or call 401-277-0800.
If you are thinking about owning a business are in the early stages of starting one, then this workshop is for you. Register for this class to develop your business ideas and planning, consider your legal structure, discuss choosing a name and entity, and more.
• The Experience Economy: Winning the Hearts and Minds of Your Customers to Grow Your Business, from SCORE, at the Pawtucket Public Library, 13 Summer St., Pawtucket. The program runs from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is free. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-528-4561.
Join marketing consultant Bob Salvas for ideas about making your customers’ buying experience an extraordinary one, and how that alone can help take your business to the next level.
• Social Media & Website Development, from SCORE, at the Providence Public Library, 150 Empire St., Providence. The program runs from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and is free. To register, email email@example.com and put “Attention: Ann P” in the subject line or call 401-455-8005.
SCORE takes you through the basics of developing your business of social media and lays out useful tips on developing your business’ website.
To register for any of the seminars below, visit prophetshareri.com. All events will be held at the Centerville Seminar Center, 875 Centerville Road, Warwick, Building 2, Suite 5.
• Business Success … The Strategic Mindset at Work, 6:30 p.m., free.
This powerful planning workshop will help you examine your current role as an owner, professional or executive, and adopt even more effective mindsets, strategies, habits and areas of focus.
• What Are You Going to Name It? A Hands-On Naming Workshop, 9 a.m., $25.
A well-thought-out name is your most important branding tool. In this hands-on workshop, you will create a new name for your company, product or service. You will also learn how to leverage your name when marketing and advertising your brand.
• Create a Dynamic Vision to Inspire Your Team ... You ARE the Chief Inspiration Officer, 2 p.m., $25.
In this workshop, you will learn an easy and simple technique to bring your whole company’s focus on what is important in simple terms that everyone can understand – and be inspired to follow.
• How to Self-Police Your Trademarks and Copyrights, 6:30 p.m., free.
This class will discuss trademarks and copyrights, in general, and more specifically on how to police or enforce your trademarks and copyrights on your own. We will focus on strategies for enforcing your trademarks and copyrights.
• So You Think You Want to Start Your Own Business (first of a three-part series), 6:30 p.m., $59.
The first part of this seminar series will provide you with the tools you need to assess your ability to become a successful entrepreneur.
• LinkedIn Lab 2: Active Engagement to Build Your Brand (for advanced users), 9:30 a.m., $39.
Part of this LinkedIn Lab 2 session will involve how you can become active and engage others on LinkedIn through posting your own work (via a blog), sharing other people’s articles via updates, posting/answering questions in groups, and more.
Town asks $271,000 for Burdick documents …
WESTERLY — The town says the $271,445 fee it has devised for documents requested by former Zoning Officer Elizabeth Burdick’s lawyer is a “conservative” estimate … more ...
Student charged with selling ‘pot’ cookies …
WOOD RIVER JUNCTION — A 16-year-old Chariho High School student was charged Friday with a drug offense after she allegedly sold marijuana-laced cookies to others. … more ...
Police logs: Thursday, April 23, 2015 …
Stonington David T. Pedreira, 31, of 101 Brookside Lane, Pawcatuck, was charged Wednesday with criminal trespass, criminal mischief and possession of less than half an … more ...
Comolli family sues Westerly over quarry assessment …
WESTERLY — The Comolli family is seeking an unspecified amount of monetary punitive damages from the town, in a recently filed lawsuit, claiming that the … more ...