The following are this week’s scheduled Rhode Island small business training events from the U.S. Small Business Association:
• Government Contracting 101, from the U.S. Small Business Administration, at the Johnston Mohr Library, 1 Memorial Ave., Johnston.
The program runs from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is free. To register, email email@example.com or call 401-528-4561.
NAICS, DUNS, SAM, CAGE, FAR … talk about alphabet soup! So what do they all mean and what do they mean to you as you get started in contracting? This program will help you decipher all these acronyms and help guide you on the path to getting started in government contracting.
• Doing Business with Canada, from the Chafee Center for International Business, at 1150 Douglas Pike, Fisher Student Center, Room 2C, Smithfield.
The program runs from 8 a.m. to noon with lunch to follow and is free.
To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 401-232-6525.
Rhode Island companies looking to expand their international portfolios should consider the tremendous business opportunities offered in Canada.
• Power-up! Your Business, from the Center for Women and Enterprise, 132 George M. Cohan Blvd., Providence.
The program runs from 6 to 9 p.m. every Wednesday for 13 weeks.
The cost for all 13 weeks is $650. Partial scholarships may be available to those who qualify.
To register, visit cweonline.org or call 401-277-0800.
Gearing up to launch or grow a successful business?
This fast-paced comprehensive program is designed for emerging entrepreneurs with some business background, or for those who have begun a business without a formal plan.
• Government Market Research – Find Your Government Customers, from the U.S. Small Business Administration and RIPTAC, at 315 Iron Horse Way, Providence. The program runs from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is free. To register visit riptac.org/training or call 401-278-9173.
Everything the government buys is a matter of public record but how do you know who buys what you sell? Learn how to identify your potential customers, target your market and become familiar with the players.
• It’s Who You Know that Counts: 6 Keys to Power Networking for Your Small Business, from SCORE, at the Bristol Rogers Free Library, 525 Hope St., Bristol. The program runs from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and is free. To register, email email@example.com or call 401-528-4561.
Bob Salvas, a local director in BNI (Business Networking International), has been successfully networking for years. Come to this seminar and learn the real benefits of networking, how to go about it and where you should look to invest your networking time.
The following are this week’s scheduled seminars from Prophet Share (to register, visit prophetshareri.com). All events will be held at the Centerville Seminar Center, 875 Centerville Road, Warwick, Building 2, Suite 5:
• Business Success … The Strategic Mindset at Work, 6:30 p.m., free.
This powerful planning workshop will help you examine your current role as an owner, professional or executive, and adopt even more effective mindsets, strategies, habits and areas of focus.
• Effective Business Plan Writing and Finance Boot Camp, 6:30 p.m., free.
Starting a new business is a daunting task. Many questions need to be answered. Where and how will I get financing? What is my best option? Should I be registered as an S Corp or a C Corp? What information should be included in a business plan? Come to this seminar to learn more.
• Do-It-Yourself Website Workshop (the basics), 6:30 p.m., free
Want to build your own website? WordPress is a powerful website publishing platform, and it comes with a great set of features designed to make creating your own website (or blog) as easy, pleasant and appealing as possible.
• LLC vs. Inc., 6:30 p.m., free. Inc. vs. LLC — what is the best entity choice for your business? That will be the focus of this seminar.
• Introduction to Intuit Quickbooks for Small Business, 9 a.m., free.
Learn about Intuit Quickbooks and the different versions they offer. If you haven’t tried Quickbooks, this is the class for you. If you have been fumbling around with it, but don’t how to take it to the next level, this class is for you.
Westerly man facing charges in child pornography case …
WAKEFIELD — A Westerly man is facing charges following a Rhode Island State Police investigation into the possession and transfer of child pornography. Benjamin Kelley, … more ...
Police logs: Friday, Aug. 28, 2015 …
Westerly Michael P. Liborio, 28, of 2 Pickering Drive, Westerly, was charged Thursday with simple assault and/or battery; resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Stonington Kayla … more ...
WordPress workshop at New England Institute of Technology …
EAST GREENWICH — New England Institute of Technology will host the WordPress WordCamp RI workshop Sept. 25 and 26 at its East Greenwich campus, at … more ...
Police: Man charged with assault after fight over a woman …
RICHMOND — A local man is facing assault charges after police said he attacked another man during a fight regarding a woman. David J. Baton, … more ...