Missing New Hampshire woman found safe in Richmond, reunited with family

Missing New Hampshire woman found safe in Richmond, reunited with family

reporter photo

RICHMOND — A taxi driver’s tip regarding an erratic driver helped lead police to a missing New Hampshire woman who has since been reunited safely with her family.

Richmond officers investigating the report found 75-year-old Marion Sargent, of Fitzwilliam, N.H., around 6 p.m. on Tuesday. She was parked in a CVS parking lot along Main Street in the Wyoming section of Richmond. Police in both locations said she suffers from memory loss and early-onset dementia, and was confused but physically OK. Family members came to Rhode Island on Tuesday night to bring Sargent home.  

According to Fitzwilliam police, Sargent was reported missing Monday after a shopping trip at the Market Basket grocery store in Rindge, N.H. Family members told the police that she relies on GPS, but may have had a problem with the technology that led her to Richmond, more than 100 miles from home.

Fitzwilliam police said that law enforcement agencies in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York and Rhode Island helped in the search, but Sargent was actually located when a caller reported an erratic driver in the Richmond area. The report on the elderly female driver said she had “run a red light, had hit a curb and had triple-parked in a CVS parking lot,” Officer Jeffrey Clark of the Fitzwilliam Town Police Department said in television interviews.

According to a press release from Richmond Police Chief Elwood M. Johnson Jr., dispatcher Jessica Jillett ran the New Hampshire registration provided by the concerned caller and determined it belonged to Sargent, who was reported missing through a Silver Alert issued the previous evening. She then notified Richmond officer Jeffrey Vaughn, who was able to conduct a traffic stop as she was driving through the CVS parking lot. Police said Sargent was both “responsive and in good physical condition” when she spoke with officers. 

Richmond police said Sargent was then brought to the department and her husband was contacted. He and other family members then met with police around 9 p.m. and were able to safely bring her home.



Latest Videos