Pequot Trail garage fire traced to discarded cigarette

Pequot Trail garage fire traced to discarded cigarette



reporter photo

STONINGTON — Fire officials said a discarded cigarette was the cause of a Monday night fire that caused minor damage to a detached garage of a residence on Pequot Trail.

The property at 6 Pequot Trail is three houses west of the intersection of Route 1 and Edwards Street. Pawcatuck firefighters, alerted by a neighbor, arrived there before 8 p.m. and found that flames were showing from the side roofline of the garage. 

The fire was fully extinguished in under 10 minutes. Officials said there was minor damage to a side portion of the garage. No injuries were reported.

Pequot Trail was closed for about an hour to westbound traffic while firefighters were at the scene. Assistant Fire Chief Byron Stillman, who serves as fire inspector in the district, said the cause as accidental and tracked to a cigarette discarded on the side of the garage.

Fortunately, he said, the fire was caught early enough and did not spread far or cause much damage before it was put out. 

jvallee@thewesterlysun.com


Advertisement

Latest Videos

X