WESTERLY — A small fire prompted an evacuation at the Ocean House on Monday afternoon, but fire officials said damage was limited thanks to a swift response from members of the hotel’s emergency response team.
Watch Hill Fire Chief Robert Peacock said the hotel staff exceeded expectations in controlling the blaze, which started when a malfunctioning radio caught fire.
“Staff should be commended for following their emergency plans and using their training to quickly and safely evacuate the guests while locating and containing the fire,” Peacock said in a press release. “The mutual aid response from the Westerly Fire Departments was also instrumental in ensuring that sufficient equipment and firefighters were responding if the situation had escalated and the fire had spread.”
Watch Hill firefighters and Westerly police were dispatched to the resort hotel on Bluff Avenue about 1:40 p.m. after receiving a fire alarm activation, as well as a 911 call from a staff member.
The hotel’s team located the fire in one of the beachfront suites and began battling the blaze. Watch Hill firefighters arrived in about 3 minutes, Peacock said, and found that the staff was evacuating the hotel.
The fire was quickly contained and extinguished by firefighters and hotel staff members. Peacock said the fire that started in the radio spread to a wooden bureau. Damage was contained the bureau, the wall and carpet. There were no injuries.
The hotel was ventilated and guests were allowed back in after about 30 minutes, officials said.