Discarded cigarette cited as cause of fire at Cove Ledge Inn in Stonington

Discarded cigarette cited as cause of fire at Cove Ledge Inn in Stonington



reporter photo

STONINGTON — Fire officials said a discarded cigarette caused a fire at the Cove Ledge Inn on Sunday night, damaging three apartments in a rental building on the property.

Fire Marshal Kevin Burns, who provides services for the Wequetequock Fire District, confirmed Tuesday that a fire in a six-unit building at the site of the Cove Ledge Inn & Marina, 842 Stonington Road in Pawcatuck, was determined to be accidental.

“The Wequetequock fire marshal’s office conducted an investigation with the assistance of Stonington police,” Burns said. “The detailed investigation led by Inspector Byron Stillman determined the fire to be accidental as a result of an improperly discarded cigarette.”

Members of the Wequetequock Fire Department, assisted by Stonington police, Stonington Borough firefighters and personnel with Stonington Ambulance, were called to the Route 1 property around 6:30 Sunday night.

Fire officials said all occupants were able to evacuate the building before emergency personnel arrived. Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 15 minutes, and remained on scene for several hours to combat flare-ups. No injuries were reported.

The blaze caused significant smoke, water and fire damage to one apartment, officials confirmed, as well as minor smoke or water damage to two others. All three were expected to be repaired, officials indicated, but are currently not inhabitable. The three remaining units are available for use, officials said.

Wequetequock Fire Chief Edward Dennett did not respond to a message seeking further information on Tuesday.

jvallee@thewesterlysun.com


Advertisement

Latest Videos

X